
Papa. My mother's father. My Grandfather.

He passed away early this morning, May 2, 2011. Orvis Clair Lovely, born Dec. 8, 1926. Being the first born grandchild, I suppose I coined the term, "Papa". But to many he became Papa O.C. In fact, random waitresses would end up calling him Papa by the end of the meal. He never met a stranger. I think it is a wonderful testimony to someone when their grandchildrens' friends are sad that he is gone. I think it means the breadth of his life was very broad. And the depth of his love was very deep.

The floods of memories started last night as I lay in bed waiting to hear the outcome of his risky surgery. Immediately, I remembered the stories of how he was adored as the curly-haired, youngest boy of his many siblings. I remember hearing how he and my Grandma and my Grammy all danced together when they heard I was born. I remember the many hours spent fishing, camping, at the cabin, playing horse shoes, playing cards, in the RV, playing at their house, wrestling, laughing, listening to Kenny Rogers on the radio, setting up for family reunions, visiting, seeing them in the stands at my games or track meets, and working. One of my most cherished memories was driving out to 15 mile creek to fish. We always stopped in WilSal and we always stopped at Uncle Wendalls'. And we always kicked over the cow patties to get some juicy worms. We would then take whatever luxury sedan he was driving at the time and fly over the ruts and fields. Finally, we would descend on a little spot of heaven, only a few feet wide. Usually, the flies were biting more than the fish. So fun, such a sweet memory. I feel as though my Papa gave me many memories and the gift of TIME. What a great gift that has turned out to be. I don't feel as though I have missed out knowing him. I don't have any regrets. A gift that he gave us all by giving us his time.
We will all miss him. No one more than my Grandma, they were married 60ish years. Until we see him again, we will try to give each other the love he gave us and we will try to pass along the tradition of being so gracious with our time. May every kid out there have a Papa like him.
Rest in peace.
Jill

1 comment:
beautiful. i remember your papa visiting l.u. didn't they come in an rv? you are blessed to have had him. i don't know a close relationship with a grandparent. priceless.
i read your memories and think "boy 2 girls could not have had a more different upbringing." but isn't that the sweetness of our savior? that we can be so different and i have such a dear love and appreciation for you. trust me your memories are waaaaay better than mine.
my sympathies to you and your family.
love you my friend!!
Post a Comment