Friday, June 12, 2009

Happy to you, Sage


A friend of mine, in her blog, Daily Sonrisas, writes a letter to each of her kids on their birthday. I am always touched by the letters and thought I would attempt one for Sage on her second birthday.

Dear Sage,
It is the calm before the storm. Tomorrow you turn two with everyone celebrating at the park with ice cream. The only thing you have wanted for your birthday is ice cream. And so you will get lots and lots of yummy ice cream.

What a joy to think about this year. You had to go through the pain of ear infections and the surgery for tubes. The day after it was like a different kid. I am sorry that we didn't do it sooner. I didn't realize how much pain you were in.

You have gotten us through some tough times this year, with your giggles, hugs, kisses, stories, growth, and love. I can honestly say that I wouldn't have made it through this year without those things. Somehow life doesn't seem as hard with you here. I know those are big britches for a two year to fill, but I believe that God has destined you to be a "joy-bringer" to this world. I truly believe that there is something downright special about you. Among many things, a gift of joy.

My prayer for you this next year is that with all the changes that you will remain happy and joyful. I can already see you mothering your new baby brother or sister and it won't be here for six more months. You get to move up to a big bed. You get to finally conquer potty training. And you get to leave those minos (binkies) behind. What a big girl.

My prayer for your life is that you will fall in love with Jesus. That you will rest in His arms and not struggle to get your own way. He will lead you. I pray that you will take all that energy and use it for His kingdom. God has some big plans for you. As I watch you grow, I see His hand even now. As He directs Mommy and Daddy to discipline, love, and guard you, He is working all things for you good.

I love you more that you know. My love for you has opened my eyes for His love for me. Happy second birthday, mini-me. How I love you!

Mommy

2 comments:

Gina said...

That was great. I can't wait for Sage to turn 3 because that is likely when you will post again. Hahah. Love you friend and I enjoy reading your thoughts.

Melanie said...

That was so beautiful!!
Congratulations to you also!!
I had a lot of fun with Susan over dinner and the playground.